Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Flavour Of The Day With Noora

Reality Check

Today, I thought I was superwoman! My husband opened a private business and assigned me as a marketing manager. Excited about doing something I love, I woke up at 6:30am, dressed formally,  took out my old notebook and multi coloured pens, and was as prepared as prepared could be. I  met with photographers, suppliers and all sorts of professionals. By 12:30 pm I was finished for the day, ready to get Yousef from preschool and head home to cook. I was superwoman and I was feeling great.

Then came the call from the most important supplier yet, he needed to meet and he needed to meet now. Sudden professional commitments and caring for toddlers don't work together, I knew that. But my superwoman mentality told me it would be a piece of cake: "I'll just take Yousef, he'll sleep on our way there anyways". Mind you, this is something I always objected to; I hate mamas who mix between kids and work.

Wrapping up my meeting without a single difficulty, it all seemed too good to be true; it was. Yousef woke up, extremely fussy from his unusual nap and threw a tantrum for wanting to take a dish out of the restaurant. I swear, I felt that his cries were louder than sirens, people stared at me and I just wished I could disappear. Why was a child there? How could I think that bringing him was even ok? How unprofessional did I seem? A million questions ran through my head while I was shushing him, trying to carry my purse, laptop bag, baby bag, and Yousef. I couldn't wait to get out of there! Reality check, trying to work around mama-hood when your kids are still very young simply doesn't work!

No comments: