Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Flavour Of The Day With Noora

Time for Some Parenting Research

In times like these when so much chaos is shaping the countries that surround us, how do we talk to our  kids about what is going on? Do we explain political issues that they may be too young to understand? Do we teach them that having a voice is crucial? Do we take them along when participating is political and social events that support our opinions.

When I was growing up, my parents did none of the above; I had no clue of the breaking news that was going on. I knew only of historical events from history classes at school and only what the books wanted to mention.

When I went abroad to complete my studies, I was embarrassed when asked about facts, events and political views. I did not know how to respond and could not argue something that sounded wrong to me. That is why, as an adult, I am conducting my own research as needed.

I want to spare my kids that confusion by constantly talking to them about world news, by thinking out side the box when it comes to other cultures and by keeping them informed of their surrounding that go beyond the borders of their own country. BUT, I don't know how :)

Time for some parenting research!

No comments: