Monday, November 25, 2013

Flavour Of The Day With Noora

A Tearful Visit To The Mall

Yesterday evening, in my attempt to do something nice for my 3-year-old, I  bought him a school bag. At the shop, all things were grand and cheerful, we chose the style together, tried on different alternatives, laughed when some looked a bit odd and finally chose the one he loved with cheers and celebrations.

Less than 5 minutes later, literally, I had a screaming toddler, throw his most public tantrum yet. All my attempts to defuse the situation had failed. And so, I ended up carrying a screaming and kicking boy, with all judgmental eyes following me. 

Of course, I also got strangers' comments directed at Yousef: "it is inappropriate to behave like this," "stop crying it's not nice," which only escalated both of our bad tempers.

In the car, I finally exploded in tears myself, I don't know how I reached home with the both of us weeping!  While he later (30 minutes after) snapped out of it, my tears on the other hand kept on rolling for the remainder of the night.

"Where did I go wrong?" was my question. Was me saying "no" to his request of emptying the old bag into the new one while carrying other bags and trying to manage his 1.4 year-old sister worth all this, is my son that spoiled? 

I felt like I had failed. People saying "it's the age" doesn't make things any better. If my child is being attended to, cared for, and loved, shouldn't such behaviour be avoidable?

No comments: