Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Flavour of the Day with Noora

Mean Parents

I cannot believe that some parents threaten their kids with having the doctor give them an injection.

I haven't heard this once but several times at the doctor's office when a mother or father tells their child to sit quiet and behave or "I'll let the doctor give you an injection that hurts!"

It makes me so angry to see parents resort to this kind of discipline, what a way to get your child comfortable with going to the doctor!

Forget that they are literally creating a fear of doctors, injections and pain, they are also telling their child that "unless you do exactly what I tell you, I will resort to something painful that scares you."

To me, it sounds ridiculous to put your child through that rather than teaching proper manners in the first place. And in the end, all they are doing is positioning the doctor as an evil scary person that does painful things rather than someone who will make them feel better. It is all a bit ironic don't you think?

No comments: