Friday, March 23, 2012

Flavour of the Day with Noora

Mama vs. Baba

Do you ever feel like you and your husband are on completely different pages when it comes to
disciplining your children? Even if you agree on the end goal, the methods are exactly the opposite?

I am a bit old school. I like to teach my child that no is sometimes just no. Without debate, asking more than once, trying to convince my child to listen to me and most importantly without argument. "You cannot do this thing because I said so." I remember when my dad said no about something I would feel a knot in my throat but wouldn't dare to say another word.

My husband however grew up with a father who took his time in explaining everything. As a child, my husband was "convinced" to do the things his parents were asking.

Lately, and as our kids are getting older, we are both trying to apply our own ways which we believe are in the best interest of our children. I believe that my way teaches our children respect and good manners that will definitely be reflected on the way they deal with other children and especially other parents. He believes that his way "encourages a child's creativity". And to be totally honest, I sometimes admire his patience even though hearing the discussion can drive me crazy!

While the rule of thumb in parenting is that there is no one right way, we cannot seem to find common ground. As if parenting is not hard enough, how are we supposed to work around this?

No comments: