Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Flavour Of The Day With Noora

If having kids sometimes makes you question what kind of a mama you are, being a step-mama makes you question what kind of a person you are. Am I loyal? Am I honest? Am I realistic? Am I compassionate? Am I considerate? Am I selfish? Am I mean? Am I kind? Am I fair? Am I biased? Am I committed? Am I...?

Being a step-mama is by far one of the hardest and most challenging things I have ever had to do. There is no right formula; and while being a mama gives you some wiggle room here and there for trial and error, being a step-mama cannot handle too many mistakes. I have been a step-mama in training for the past three years now, and in all honesty, the challenge is as strong now as it has been on day 1.

In our communities, step-mamas are stereotyped. I cannot tell you how many ridiculous things complete strangers at doctors' offices, dinners etc, have told me. Ridiculous questions in hopes for even more ridiculous answers. And so, step-mamas are afraid to talk about the issues they are facing.

Having a step-mom myself, I can honestly say that these stereotypes are meaningless. Getting help in being a step-mama is the most important thing you can do for your family. Whether through a psychologist, life coach, a close family member or anyone who has your family's best interest at heart, asking for help is not shameful. It only makes you that much stronger and that much committed to your family.  

No comments: