Thursday, December 1, 2011

Flavour of the Day with Noora


Work or Children?

What would you do if your dream job meant that you had to stay away from your house and child for at least 10 hours a day?

My son Yousef, just turned one. Before I had him, I worked in Advertising. It only took me about 5 minutes in the agency to figure out that working in Advertising is my dream job. I had always wanted to do it and when I did, it turned out to be even more amazing than I imagined. It is a mixture of creativity and psychology. It is understanding what will be the next big thing and being the one to tell people that it is "what they need". Simply put, it is a lot of fun.

Reality check however, working for an advertising agency is by far one of the most demanding fields there is! Long hours, crazy deadlines, high stakes, and very demanding clients are the day to day realities of the job.

Now, when I think of working again, I realize that it is either advertising or being a mama. Both at the same time are impossible, something will have to give. The problem is that by the time Yousef is old enough to be left under the supervision of someone else for long hours, I would be too outdated for the game.

People tell me to decide which is more important, but honestly, they both really are. I know stay-at-home-mamas who have unbearable kids even though they are at home with them all the time. But, I also know working mamas who have teens that are troublesome because their parents are barely at home.

In the end, how much do children really suffer when their mamas have to go to work everyday?

1 comment:

Samah said...

To work or not to work, that is the question! at least for those who have the choice.
I have done both, worked when my kids were young and stayed home when they got to their early teens, and I can tell you this is the best thing to do, but I think that would be unfair and mean :) I think we moms judge ourseleves too hard and want everything perfect!
Unfortunately things are not perfect, and with children decisions are always harder to make because you are making decisions for them.
I believe that if you have a choice then you should do the thing that makes you more relaxed with yourself and them, kids adapt to the situation and good moms will always manage to give their kids the time they need even if it is at their own expense. But being relaxed in your relationship with them is what is going to make them grow healthy. So if you stay home but always upset and hating your life, you are not helping them. Same goes for a working mom that is tense and stressed.
Good luck, and hope you'll find the solution that works with you :)