Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Flavour of The Day With Noora

You are Making My Kids Inhale Your Smoke!


Yesterday, I yelled at a complete stranger at the mall. As me, my 7-year-old step daughter and my 1-year-old son, were shopping for something she needs for school, I couldn't help but smell cigarette smoke.

I turned around to find two men, one in his early forties and one in his teens, smoking right behind us. They were taking a drag and then hiding the cigarette as if no one could see or smell the smoke. When I turned around to look at them, I found them standing by a garbage can that had a "no cigarette" sign on it.

I became furious! This is what happened next.

Noora: do you or do you not see the sign on the trash can?

Man: yes, I do.

Noora: you are making me and my children inhale your smoke and we don't want to!

Man: so many other people are smoking (pointing out others who really were)

Noora: so, because some people are fools, you decided you wanted to be a fool too!

I then turned around and walked away. I felt so bad afterwards for two reasons. First, I couldn't believe that I was that rude to someone in front of my step daughter. Second, I couldn't believe that I was that rude to someone in the first place.

Yet, how disrespectful is he to smoke in a place that has no-smoking signs everywhere?! People like him assume that the laws were put just for the sake of having a law, and that makes me very angry!

I wanted him to know that there are people who think smoking is disgusting and want to protect their children from it, it is not just a law!

The question is, was I too harsh?

No comments: