Monday, January 21, 2013

Flavour Of The Day With Noora

Distractions, distractions

Writing is one of those jobs where you can have ZERO distractions. And since the only free time I have to do my interviews and write is the 3 hours Yousef is at preschool, I need all the focus I can get.

This was a long weekend, which meant I had to attempt to work with the kids at home. I got my coffee, sat down and put on my serious face, NO DISTRACTIONS ARE ALLOWED. Ten minutes later, "I'm starving," Layla (8).
"What do you want"
"I don't know"
"Call me when you do".

5 minutes later, Layla again, "I'm starving"
"Ok so tell me what you want"
"I don't know"
"I'm making you eggs"
"Ok, you too Yousef (2)"

I make the eggs, hand them their plates, feed Yousef and then sit to write.
3 minutes later: Yousef is screaming over some toy Layla is playing with. 5 minutes later: he is still yelling. I go up stairs, grab a trunk of toys and come down.
I sit to write.
10 minutes later, Yousef is crying because the toy is not fitting in the car. I solve the problem.
10 minutes later, the dry clean company comes to pick up a load. Then, I remember I need to take 3 doctor's appointments for the kids for that same day. I do that and then sit to write.
Yousef and Layla fight over who gets to watch TV. I take Yousef upstairs, turn on his show, get my laptop and sit to write.

The first time I sat down, it was 9:30am. Now, it's 11:30am and I am getting no where! The deal was, my husband takes the kids to the mall in the morning, while I work. But, since he came back from a late project around 4:30am, I don't have the heart to wake him up.

I can't wait until my kids are teens, going through the phase where they just want to be left alone and maybe then, I can finally focus on having a job!

No comments: