Thursday, March 14, 2013

Flavour of the Day with Noora

Accepting Change

One of the hardest things to accept is that we, or the people we love, change. I have been a mama for two and a half years now: I have struggled, cried, felt frustrated, and felt lost more than I have ever done so throughout my life.

As many mamas, I decided to quit my job and stay at home with my kids;  I had two babies back-to-back. Then one day, I realised, I cannot recognise a single thing about the person that was looking back at me in the mirror. My priorities had changed (and not always willingly), I lost touch of most of my friends, I missed my job more than anything, my relationship with my husband changed, and the way people looked at me changed.

All of a sudden, I was not Noora who was doing great at work, I was not Noora who loved to travel and meet friends, I was not spontaneous Noora,  I was not Noora who loved to splurge on expensive items. I was just mama Noora who was now reading parenting books rather than romance novels, who was always tired, sleep deprived and complaining about not having a social life. And so, I planned. I planned my kids growing up in 6 years, I planned going back to work, I planned having a social life again, I planned and planned, but again, all my plans were for when my mama duties subside. As if I am telling myself, now I'm serving a mama-sentence and when it is done, I can go back to being the person I was three years ago. However, the wait was long and hard.

Until, in a casual conversation, my friend simply said, most people need to change, or else, they will break. Being a mama changed me in ways I never thought possible, it made me give up things I thought were so vital and that is ok, because life changes and so must we. Truth is, accepting change is harder than change itself but the relief that comes with it  is worth the struggle.

No comments: