Saturday, March 30, 2013

Flavour of the Day with Noora

When you smoke, you are a teacher

As a mama, nothing bothers me more than the sight of people smoking around children. On my way into a supermarket, I saw a girl and boy, about 5 and 6 years old, standing by a trash can and smiling. The closer I got, I realised that the boy was holding a cigarette bud that was half lit (thrown by some stranger) and trying to take a few puffs himself, the girl waiting her turn. My initial reaction (wrong or right) was to yell:" NO! smoking is very bad for you and it will make you get really really sick," I made sure he put it down.

A few months ago, I saw workers unloading a truck. Among them was a boy about 13-years old all dirty from the day's work sit in the back seat. It was freezing cold that day so all doors and windows were closed and the driver lit a cigarette, filling the unventilated car and the boy's lungs with smoke.

Across from my house is a supermarket that teens often gather at, snack and stay for hours at a time. I am not exaggerating when I say each and every one of them smokes. Boys and girls alike, younger and older teens.

A paediatrician once told a friend of mine who smoked around her daughter, "you might as well put your hand on her mouth and nose and suffocate her, because that is exactly what you are doing when you smoke next to her, and if you think going to the next room is safe, think again, smoke travels."

On my yearly check-up, a doctor once told me that it takes a body 10 years of completely not smoking to fully get rid of its poisonous chemicals . TEN YEARS!  

No comments: