Sunday, February 24, 2013

Flavour Of The Day With Noora

Sick Mama

When your kids are sick, as the mama, you are expected to leave everything you are doing to attend to their every need. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, it's nice to feel like the rock of the family, but it would also be nice to get that same treatment.

When you, yourself are sick, the world collapses. Kids, at least my kids, tend to crank up the volume on fussiness and bad moods when they feel I am not feeling well. Suddenly, Yousef wants me to carry him everywhere and cries for just about anything, and Mona crawls behind me crying for me to hold her. With my husband out of town, the load is really heavy!

It's as if they have a 6th sense that tells them: mama needs a break, let's not give it to her! I miss the days when I could call in sick, stay in bed, watch show after show, nap, wake up, and then nap again. Life, even if for a brief moment, can be put on hold.

When you are a mama, school is still on, mama duties are still on, cooking (especially if you have young kids) is still on, and the exhaustion of toddler-bedtime is still on. I honestly believe that god gives mamas strengths that he does not give to anyone else. 

No comments: