Thursday, March 7, 2013

Flavour Of The Day With Noora

My Kid is Way too Young for This!

What would you do if your child came up to you and said: "my friend at school told me so and so." So and so being a major bit of information of a very private, physical, against culture, against religion and quite frankly gross in nature. A bit of information you yourself did not hear of until you were well in your teens.

This is what happened today when my friend's daughter came and told me what her friends (9-years-old) were talking about in school. I was in complete and utter shock, unable to react in any way.

Nowadays, you always hear mamas say: our kids are so exposed, the information is everywhere, we cannot shelter them, they know about things a lot earlier than they should, etc. And now that I am a mama myself, I have to ask this question: "so then, do we just sit there and accept this reality even though it is destroying their innocence, robbing them from the safety of not knowing, and pushing them in a direction that is nothing but terrible?" I ask this question without any sarcasm, I really need an answer. An answer that gives me a bit more confidence that the world I am raising my children in is not as bad as what I heard this 9-year-old say.

Seven years from now when my own child is 9, how should I deal with this kind of situation? 

No comments: