Saturday, December 10, 2011

Flavour of the Day with Noora


Fast Food and Chips are my Best Friends!


I have always been an extremest when it comes to food. I either eat non-stop, shoving all sorts of junk down my mouth or, in many cases, eat nothing at all.

I was, for a very long time, anorexic. For those of you who do not know what that is, anorexia is an eating disorder that makes a person constantly feel like he/she is fat (even if they are as skinny as a twig). Anyone who has experienced an eating disorder knows that it is a very, very deep, black hole. One that is extremely hard to get out of. I was lucky to enough to get past that phase which lasted about 3 years when I was a teenager.

Now however, I am binge eating like crazy; I am addicted to fast food and chips. I crave them all the time and never feel full. I can go on eating and eating and don't feel that I have had enough. This only happens with junk food. With normal healthy meals, I am get full right away. I have also developed really bad eating habits. I am obsessed with carbs, and then, I add butter.

So, it is butter sandwiches, baked potato loaded with butter, sweet corn with better, and anything else that fits in the category. Needless to say, I have gained weight, lots of it.

During my pregnancy with Yousef, I gained a whopping 22 kilos! After the delivery, I tried to adopt a healthy life style. I dieted, walked every day for 40 minutes and cut down the fast food to once a week. I managed to lose 95% the weight but then I stopped.

I hate diets and dieticians because they remind me of the time I deprived myself of food. Lately however, I have been consciously trying to make the decision to quit the junk and begin, for the first time in my life, a healthy lifestyle that I can maintain and hopefully teach my kids.

Does anyone know of a nutritionist, not a dietician, that can help me make guided decisions?

No comments: