Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Flavour of The Day With Noora

Family Ties


There is nothing like family! I am currently in Riyadh, where most of my family members reside, and I am feeling great.


I have 7 brothers and sisters and 9 nieces and nephews. Each with his or her own personality, yet a perfect fit within the whole picture. My eldest niece is 16 and the youngest is just over a year. It always surprises me how well they all get along and how much they all truly love each other.


When we were growing up, my father had always reserved Wednesdays to be family days. No friends and no plans outside the house. Just all of us crammed together in our living room with our noises bouncing off the walls. Yes, it used to annoy us sometimes because when you are young, you do not appreciate the importance of family. But now that I have a family of my own, I thank my father every day for planting the importance of family ties in all of us.


I sometimes hear stories of siblings fighting over money, cutting all ties because their spouses do not get along or simply drifting apart because they each have their own social life. I do not wish that on anyone!


Speaking as a daughter, sister, aunt, and mama, do not under-estimate the importance of family, it truly is a precious gift. Set aside one day of the week for your immediate family and start creating a new generation of loving children.

No comments: