Thursday, May 31, 2012

flavour of The Day with Noora


Construction Nightmares

What is it about contractors, painters, blacksmiths, and carpenters that makes them (or at least 99%) so careless regarding deadlines, work ethic and doing the job right.

Thanks to the above "professionals", the nursery is way behind schedule. I have been waiting for cabinets to be delivered since end of April and every time I talk to the carpenter he says:"its just a matter of 3-4 days." It's just too late to start all over again with someone new.

On the other hand, I thought it would be a smart idea to finish all pending projects around the house before the new baby comes, and I have to say, dealing with workers is definitely pushing me towards an early delivery. Almost every one of them had a "medical emergency" at some point, avoided my calls for a few days, or tried to convince me that him doing the job just 60% good is a better option than keeping it the way it was. And I am not talking about rocket science, I am referring to jobs as basic as installing a new light fixture!

I have yet to meet a single person in the field of construction, interior design, landscaping or anything else related to the house who takes his/her job as seriously as you feel about getting something done in your house. I think I will start my own business once the baby is a bit older.







No comments: