Saturday, March 21, 2015



Mother's Day Special Series - Guest Posts


"My mother bridged two cultures for me, giving me the best of each. She embraced learning the language and ways of our Jordanian life while at the same time sharing the best of her American background...She taught me to reach for the stars and not to wait for someone else to do what only you can do."


Sonia, as a child, with her mama Virginia in Zarqa, Jordan


Virginia Haddad with her daughter
Sonia Salfity, who works part-time
at her husband's Cardiac Clinic
in Omaha, Nebraska.
She is a monthly contributor to
Family Flavours magazine
My mama is generous beyond measure. She is also kind, and compassionate. She has always demonstrated these qualities for as long as I can recall. She bridged two cultures for me, giving me the best of each. She embraced learning the language and ways of our Jordanian life while at the same time sharing the best of her American background. This enriched my life on so many levels. Every aspect of my life was better because of her grace and gentleness in teaching me to look beyond the limitations of what a traditional culture imposes especially on us women. She taught me to reach for the stars and not to wait for someone else to do what only you can do.

She was critical in my going to university in the United States at the young age of 16. I was the youngest university student on campus which brought with it many challenges. Without my mother’s encouragement, I would have given up. Instead, I ended up excelling and graduating Magne Cum Laude with honours thanks to the perseverance and disciplined work ethic she always instilled in me.

I am ever so grateful to my mother and am so thankful that she was present at the birth of each of our three children. Her generosity has now extended towards our children and they too get to soak in the goodness and pure joy of my sweet mother's unconditional love.

Thank you Mama for all that you've given of yourself. There's not a day that goes by that I don't enjoy talking to you and connecting with one of the most treasured blessings in my life.

Happy Mother's Day!



No comments: