Sunday, April 15, 2012

Flavour of The Day with Noora

A Frightful Yousef

Yousef (17 months) is going through a a weird phase, or at least, I'm hoping it's a phase. He is scared to death of every sound he hears. If his dad comes home from work and calls him from the other room, he runs to me immediately and holds my pants! In a terrified manner.

If the door bell or phone rings, if a car makes a loud noise, if someone in a different room makes any noise what so ever, Yousef runs to me in fear.

I don't know if it is because some kids in the family kept on playing with him by hiding from him and then jumping out of nowhere or if it is because he is becoming more aware of things. Whatever it is, it is keeping him stuck to me at all times.

I don't know if I should address it by carrying him and soothing him every time or if I should just tell him in a normal voice that there is nothing to be scared of. I don't want to feed this habit and have him turn out scared of everything.

Any tips?

1 comment:

Averil said...

He needs lots of reassurance and comfort from you. His fears are real to him and he needs support to learn that these things are safe.
Is it possible that he has been traumatized in some way without you knowing??? Has anyone hurt him in any way?
His trust in the world as a safe place has been broken somehow, and now he needs lots of safe nurturing to help him rebuild his trust.