Saturday, March 21, 2015


Mother's Day Special Series - Guest Posts



“Her name is Sidonia
And she also

Has plenty of tales to tell.
She whisked her children away
To many lands
From the shores of Napoli
To the grandeur of Turkey
To the charms of Paris.
She was always our rock
To cling to
Among the shifting sands
of our adolescence.”

Sidonia Megyesi, may she rest in peace
My Beloved Mother
I wrote this poem for my mother after she died in 1991 
-Virginia Haddad

I embark on a journey
Down the River Styx.
I had to visit Hades
I knew not why
I knew not what
Compels me there.
I only knew my soul
Was flying there.

Hades so black,
Why do you draw me?
Why not Mt. Olympus
With her head in the clouds?
Oh Hades you lure me
I must go in haste.

Down the River Styx
I embark on a boat
By myself, by myself
As I always am.
I row and I row
But the current is kind
She sweeps me along
As if she too
Shares my urgency.

The river is my friend
She cradles me
She soothes away my fears.
I need not navigate
The river knows her way
She carries me swiftly
To my destiny.
What will await me
When my river runs dry?

I shake with trepidation
But my river lulls me with her lullaby.
Who is here to greet me?
Pluto with his three headed dog
What, What is this?
I need a passport
But I have not died
I have no passport of death.
Please, please
Let me slip in quickly
I do not want to stay long.

Pluto remains steadfast
"No bribe - No entry"
Virgil and Dante
Neither can be swayed
"Once you enter these gates
There is no return"
But we are ready
To read your sins

So we know what level
To put you in.
I hang my head
In shame and despair
But oh what a vision
Do suddenly I see
Beautiful Persephone
She grabs my hand.
"Quickly, quickly
Run with me.
Wear my cape
And they will not see
You, Virginia
As you dash off with me."
Off we fly
Leaving the men
To guard their precious gates.


Oh sweet, beautiful Persephone
Take me to my mother.
You who well know that special bond
Between mother and daughter.
Please help me find my mother
As Zeus helped your mother find you
After Pluto fell in love
And dragged you down here.


Please take me to my mother
She who has been
Many years now
Hidden from my view
I want to introduce you
I want you
To become her friend
As you have befriended Eve.


You will recognize my mother
Her heart is huge
So huge it overwhelms you
You will know
When you get near
For her warmth will engulf you.


She will love you
As she loves
All things of beauty
She will want to sculpt you
She will want to paint you
Allow her that little pleasure
Talk with her
Make her laugh
You must have plenty
Of tales to tell.


Her name is Sidonia
And she also
Has plenty of tales to tell.
She whisked her children away
To many lands
From the shores of Napoli
To the grandeur of Turkey
To the charms of Paris.
She was always our rock
To cling to
Among the shifting sands
of our adolescence.


I now see
That I cannot find my mother.
I cannot see at all down here.
But you can, you can
You can do so much
You, Persephone,
You with your ethereal intuition
You can find my mother.
Keep her company
Until I and my children
And grandchildren
Are ready to join her.
She is too shy to seek friends.
Introduce her to Eve
And to Eve's descendants.
Let her play with them.
Let them delight in each other’s' tales.


I love my mother, Sidonia, so much
With a love that I cannot contain.
I cannot see her
While I in my temporal body
Still remain.
But she has shed hers
Much to her delight.
When I too, shall shed
This body of mine
I look forward
To being one with her again.


But until then
Please seek her out
Please embrace her
She needs it so much
Give her some seeds and a shovel
She loves to watch things grow
As she so lovingly
Watched me grow
All through her life.


Thank you
Thank you dear Persephone
For hearing me out.
Thank you for sneaking me in
To your hallowed ground
For a little while.
I could not see anything here
But I feel their stories
The stories of all
These invisible souls
Who are your guests.


I bid you farewell.
Thank your friend Zeus
For arranging
My safe passage back
Back home to my family
Back home to myself.


Sidonia (far left) with her daughter Virginia (far right) and son-in-law Samir (middle)

No comments: